Most vet offices won't see patients after hours and have very limited hours on weekends, if they're open at all. In case of an after hours emergency it's a good idea to know beforehand where the nearest animal emergency clinic is located. Having their number on your fridge or in your cell phone is also not a bad idea. I've consulted with a vet at an emergency clinic over the phone on 2 occasions. In both instances they were actually happy to help me over the phone and told me I didn't need to come in. I think they were just glad to chat with someone during their grave yard shift and happy to help a pup in need.
Be aware that emergency clinics do charge more for their services. It's always a good idea to call ahead and consult with the vet prior to heading over. Don't panic. In an obvious emergency (i.e. your dog was hit by a car and is bleeding to death) get over there pronto, but if the situation doesn't appear to be dire, keep a level head and give the clinic a call. If the vet doesn't think the situation is life-threatening he may give you instructions on how to handle it at home. If he determines you need to go in - you go in. I'm hoping to not ever find myself in this situation with Andy. Knock on wood!
No comments:
Post a Comment