Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Fat Boy

According to the Centers for Disease Control more than one-third of U.S. adults are obese. Given that startling statistic it's no wonder our dogs and cats are also suffering from the same threat to their health and well-being. 

This  is a photo  of Titus, a sweet beagle that saw me through  college and the first 2 years of my marriage. He died very suddenly, and though we'll never know what happened, I know his moderate obesity didn't do anything good for him; he was at least 10 pounds overweight. I didn't realize weight was an issue for Titus at the time and it only strikes me now, as I look at old photos of him, that he really was a husky boy. He was overfed and under-exercised.  Being a beagle also didn't help as some breeds are more prone to obesity than others.

I've learned so much from each of the dogs that have graced my life and I'd like to think that with each canine companion that comes my way I become a better and more responsible owner. I'm going to do my darnedest to make sure weight is never an issue for Andy. This means being mindful of his caloric intake, making sure he has a healthy and balanced diet, gets regular exercise, and visits the vet annually for a checkup.  If only I could do the same for myself!

For more information on canine weight and weight loss check out this article on WebMD's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment