Sunday, July 8, 2012

Puppy Challenge | Leash Training

Leash Training: I’m not going to even pretend to be an expert on leash training. I’ve always struggled with getting my dogs to walk nice on a leash and unfortunately Andy’s no exception. Puppy attention deficit disorder + hound nose = disaster. We tried the traditional collar and leash method but his excessive tugging and rearing got old fast. Andy now wears a gentle leader. The leader has two loops. One fits over his muzzle and the other snaps behind his ears. Theoretically the leader is suppose to eliminate pulling on the leash and give me more control over Andy’s movements. In reality Andy is a stubborn pup and will pull when he really wants to pull. Right now we’re working on walking nice and getting him to walk on our left side at all times.

I’m going to defer to the ASPCA’s expert guidance at this point. Check out their Virtual Pet Behaviorist article called “Teaching Dog Not to Pull on Leash”. I’m going to try to implement their methods and will let you know how it goes. I’m also open to suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment