Monday, July 16, 2012

Fleas Suck

July is typically the peak of flea season in our area but because we've had high heat, relatively moderate humidity, and low rain fall the past 4 weeks they haven't really been an issue. Much to the chagrin of my vet my boys don't get flea medication on a regular basis. Here's my reasoning: 1) We generally don't have a problem with fleas around my apartment complex. 2) I firmly believe that only the high end meds are effective and they are very expensive. 3) While the meds I use are safe I hesitate to expose my pets to pesticides unnecessarily. 4) I check my boys for fleas regularly and the minute I see a single flea on any one of them I apply medication to all 3 of them and then I thoroughly vacuum the house. The meds I use (Advantage) are fast and effective and I don't have to worry about fleas for another 3-4 weeks.

I realize an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, but in our case, the system I have in place works. What works best for you and your pet(s) depend on your lifestyle and environment. Check out this article on the University of California Agriculture & Natural Resources Integrated Pest Management website for more detailed (and conventional) information on flea management. The article also includes instructions on how to handle a flea emergency.

1 comment: