Andy prefers high vantage points. He enjoys sitting on the back of the couch so he can look out the windows of our loft. He also likes to sit on my chest, shoulders or head. I'm happy to have him look out the windows but the latter is a problem and a serious behavioral issue. I'm pretty sure it has to do with dominance and is Andy's way of attempting to literally "climb" his way up the chain of command. It's a real annoyance and I'm a bit peeved that he does this only to me and never to my husband - that's some gender bias! Haha!
We had the same issue with Maxwell but he was a smaller pup and stopped after a couple of weeks of correction. Andy is far more willful and at 30 pounds has more weight to throw around than Maxwell did. I try tell him "no" and stand up whenever he tries to do this but I'll admit I'm not always consistent. When it's really bad I'll put him on his back and try to make him submit to me but he's stubborn and always struggles. Sigh. Any suggestions? A squirt bottle? Or perhaps a helmet with horns?
We had the same issue with Maxwell but he was a smaller pup and stopped after a couple of weeks of correction. Andy is far more willful and at 30 pounds has more weight to throw around than Maxwell did. I try tell him "no" and stand up whenever he tries to do this but I'll admit I'm not always consistent. When it's really bad I'll put him on his back and try to make him submit to me but he's stubborn and always struggles. Sigh. Any suggestions? A squirt bottle? Or perhaps a helmet with horns?

sounds like you already know the answer...whether you put him on his back or just set him down with a firm "no," the key is always consistency.
ReplyDelete