Friday, July 20, 2012

Adult Food for an "Adult" Andy

Andy's ready to graduate from puppy food to an adult diet. Chow formulated for puppies has a higher calorie content specifically designed to meet the needs of a developing and growing pup. Now that Andy has reached full size and is neutered our vet tells us it's time for him to transition to adult dog food.  Currently Andy is eating Blue Buffalo Life Protection Puppy Food, Lamb & Oatmeal Recipe. While we've always been satisfied with Blue Buffalo products I think I'm going to take this opportunity to try a different brand.

There are so many choices of dog food available nowadays it's hard to know what's best for your pup. Really, there is no one "best," but as responsible dog owners I think we owe it to our pups to do a little research. So many dog foods on the market have very little nutritional value and are loaded with animal byproducts and grain fillers. After doing some research here's what I'm looking for in an adult dog food for Andy:
  • It's made in the USA
  • Dry kibble  
  • It's formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for all life stages
  • Lamb is the primary protein (no animal by-products)
  • No corn
  • It's readily available 
Using the Dog Food Advisor website as a reference I selected the brands/lines above and will make a decision this weekend. I'm planning on taking Andy to our local pet supply store this weekend and doing some comparison shopping and I'll let you know what I settle on and why. Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment