Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Basic Obedience | "Shake"


Andy and I have been working on the "shake" command for about 2 weeks now.
I've been following instructions from this video I found on youtube. Basically I'm supposed to crouch and offer my hand to the pup while saying "shake." If he gives me his paw I reward him with praise and a treat. If he doesn't respond I put my hand on the back of his leg and run it down to his paw, lifting it gently while saying "shake," after which he gets praise and a reward. Supposedly if I do this persistently enough the boy will put two and two together and know that when I say "shake" he's suppose to give me his paw.

This sounds easy enough in theory, but in reality, it hasn't gone so smoothly. Like I said, we've been working on this for about 2 weeks now and Andy will only give me his paw maybe 1 out of 5 times. 20% of the time after 2 weeks of persistent training? Those are not good percentages! Now, my pup is either dumb as a door nail, or willfully disobedient. I'm betting on the later. He is such a stubborn and willful dog. Unlucky for him I'm just as stubborn and just as willful. Another 2 weeks of patient and persistent training should do the trick! Sigh. Will let you know how Andy progresses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment