Thursday, June 13, 2013

Review | Cloud Star Buddy Biscuits


Cloud Star is a U.S. based company that manufactures all natural treats and grooming supplies for dogs. They also make treats for cats and have a line of "Wag More, Bark Less" branded items for sale. So far I've only really come across their Buddy Biscuits, which I've seen at both pet supply stores and big box retailers like Target. I recently purchased a box of Buddy Biscuits, Roasted Chicken flavor, for Andy. Two factors played into my decision to give this brand a try: first and foremost, the fact that the treats are made in the USA, "all natural" (no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives), and free of corn, yeast, sugar, salt, and soy. Second, I'll be honest here, I'm a sucker for nice packaging and I just really like the way Cloud Star has branded their products.

The biscuits themselves are shaped like ginger bread men - pretty darn cute! - but unfortunately they look nothing like the treat depicted on the front of the box itself as far as color is concerned. In fact, my first impression of the biscuits when I opened the box was that they looked rather pale and unappetizing. They're also devoid of any scent (which is really neither good or bad but made me wonder what sort of flavor the biscuits actually have). Well, I'm not one to judge a book by its cover so I knew the real test would be whether or not Andy liked them.  


Andy waited in eager anticipation when he first spied me with the box of Buddy Biscuits. As I was opening the box he immediately sat "pretty" for me, knowing he would be rewarded with a treat. The funny thing is, when I finally offered him a Buddy Biscuit he refused to take it from my hand! As I continued to encourage him to take it he actually turned his head and wouldn't even look at the thing! Haha! Wait a minute, why am I laughing? I just blew $4 on a box of treats my dog won't even look at! Knowing that sometimes this is how Andy reacts to new things I put the treat on the floor with the hopes that he would eat it eventually - which he did - but without gusto. 

We've had the biscuits for about 2 weeks now and Andy's gotten to the point where he'll eat them...but I suspect it's because they're the only thing we're offering him right now. Arg. I really wanted to like this brand! I know I won't buy the roasted chicken flavored Buddy Biscuits again but I might be willing to try the sweet potato flavor if I come across them on sale. They are reasonably priced - I got them on sale at a Wegman's market for $3.99 (16 ounces). I'm also willing to try some of the other products in their line - their Dynamo Dog Functional Treats, for one, sound interesting. I don't want to write the brand off completely just yet, so I'll let you know how Andy feels about Cloud Star's other products some time in the near future.   

Cloud Star Buddy Biscuits Roasted Chicken Dog Treats
Available at Petco, Target, Wegmans, and other retailers 
16 ounces | $3.99-$5.99

Ingredients for Chicken Flavor: 
Whole wheat flour, cooked chicken, dehydrated garlic, vegetable oil, mixed tocopherols (natural preservative).

Gauranteed Analysis
Crude protein (min.) 14%, crude fat (min.) 7%, crude fiber (max.) 2.5%, moisture (max.) 10%.

No comments:

Post a Comment