Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Annual Check Up

Andy went in for his annual check up two weeks ago and passed with flying colors. The vet said he looks excellent on the outside (eyes, ears, teeth, skin, coat, etc.), sounds good on the inside (heart, lungs, and digestive track), and his heartworm and parasite tests came back negative. That's what I like to hear! The pup was vaccinated up the wazoo while we were there - rabies, DHPP (distemper and parvo combination), and Bordatella (The vet asked us to bring Andy in a week later for his Lyme vaccination because she didn't want to hit him all at once). Having owned dogs practically my entire life I went into the visit knowing it wouldn't be cheap...but man, I was still surprised when it came time to pay the bill. Alas,  I firmly believe that an annual check up is par for the course for any responsible pet owner and I'm happy (but not thrilled) to shell out the money for the service. There's a certain peace of mind that comes with knowing my pup is in tiptop shape! 

Sidenote: Andy had a complete melt down as soon as we walked into the vet's office. I'm talking full blown panic attack: restlessness, heavy panting and whining that was on the verge of screaming. Sure, I get that dogs can get nervous in new situations but this was on a whole different level. It was horrible. Nothing we did calmed him down and he kept it up the entire 15 minutes we were in the waiting area. It was embarrassing and I felt like a parent with an out of control child! Thankfully the boy settled down when we got to the exam room and was fine by the time the vet and vet techs came around. Sheesh. We really need to work on Andy's anxiety issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment