Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Andy's "Crooked Toe"

Do dogs have toes? Or are they always just called claws? In any case, Andy came to us with what I call his "crooked toe." It's actually a nail on one of his rear paws that's a bit off. I first noticed it when we had to clip his nails for the first time. The nail was, and is, visibly askew and freaked me out when I first spied it because I thought the boy's toe was broken. Upon closer inspection I saw that whatever the problem was it had occurred prior to our adopting him or was a birth defect of some sort.

The nail isn't pretty to look at but it doesn't seem to bother Andy at all. I'm probably the only one that's actually bothered by it. I personally have a "toenail-falling-off" my foot phobia, if there is such a thing. In fact, I injured one of my big toes in the fall. The nail turned purple and I had a lot of anxiety about the possibility of it falling of. Shudder. Thankfully that didn't happen. The thought of Andy's nail falling off gives me the heebie-jeebies so I try to be mindful of how long the his claws are because the crooked claw looks like it could pop off if it got too long. Andy's due for his annual checkup in a couple of weeks and if I remember I'll ask the vet if it's anything we need to worry about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment