Thursday, March 28, 2013

Spinach Eater

I used to be completely spineless when my dogs begged for table scraps. I just didn't have the heart to say "no."  My husband likes to remind me once in a while of an exchange involving a bag of chips he once witnessed between me and one of our pups. Supposedly he saw me eat a chip, feed one to the dog, eat a chip, feed one to the dog, and on and on for a good couple of minutes. I don't think it happened exactly that way...but I have to admit, his version of the story isn't too far from the truth.

When we adopted Andy I made a conscious decision not to feed him table scraps. I made a promise to myself that I would feed him as consistent and as healthy a diet as possible. This means Andy eats a high quality kibble (Merrick Classic Real Lamb with Brown Rice & Apple Dry Dog Food) and generally only treats from brands I trust, such as Blue Buffalo, Carolina Prime, and Get Naked. One of the few exceptions I make to this rule is when I feed Andy raw vegetables now and then as a treat. So far I've only given him carrots, broccoli, kernels of corn, peas and spinach (nothing acidic or "spicy" like tomatoes or onions). Raw vegetables are negligible in terms of calories and offer the boy variety in terms of flavor and texture. Andy loves them. Look at him "sitting pretty" for that leaf of spinach!

No comments:

Post a Comment