Monday, March 4, 2013

Out, Damned Tick!

We found a tick latched to Andy's inner thigh Saturday night...shudder. I'm pretty sure it was a black-legged tick, also known as a deer tick (see photo - that's my pinky finger shown for scale). Andy probably picked it up at the park earlier that day. I'm surprised the parasitic little bugger was even on the prowl given how cold it's been lately.

Thankfully we had our trusty Tick Twister on hand. This is the second time we've used it, and I must say, it certainly is worth the $3.99 we paid for it! This particular tick was a little stubborn and didn't want to let go of Andy's delicious tender flesh. My husband did get it to detach eventually, mouthparts and all, but not without a little bit of effort. The skin around the bite is irritated so I'll be keeping an eye on it and on Andy in general. Ticks can carry lyme disease, canine anaplasmosis, and other unpleasantness, so it's important to keep an eye on your pet for symptoms of illness if a tick has had a chance to attach itself. Check out the Humane Society's webpage, "Getting a Tick Off Your Dog," for more information on ticks and safe tick removal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment