Saturday, January 26, 2013

Remembering Maxwell | A Year Ago Today


A year ago today my husband and I said goodbye to our sweet beagle boy, Maxwell. We spent that last day with him knowing that later that evening we were taking him to the vet to be put to sleep, putting an end to his suffering. We spent a lot of time on the floor with him, loving on him, napping together. My husband and I shared stories and favorite memories. We fed Maxwell slices of turkey meat, one of his favorite things to eat. We laughed. We cried. The month leading up to that day had been difficult. Maxwell had been ill for some time. He had wasted away, all but stopped eating, and his kidneys were failing him. The last two weeks of his life was basically spent in hospice. We did whatever we could to make him comfortable. I spent those last weeks sleeping on the floor with him every night, preparing myself for what I knew was to come.

After everything was said and done we knew we had made the right decision. Saying goodbye was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do but I also know it was the most humane thing we could have done for our boy. We had 7 really good years with Maxwell. He came to us as a puppy, he filled our lives with joy, and we got to return the favor by being at his side as he took his last breath. We each deal with loss in our own way. The silence in our apartment after Maxwell's passing was palpable and a constant reminder to me of what I had lost. Yes, he was a dog, but he was also a companion and confidant. Maxwell will forever be missed but we honor his memory by sharing all the love we had for him with our new pup, Andy. Today I celebrate the dogs, past and present, that have filled and continue to fill my life with happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment