Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Ups and Downs of Raising a Shelter Pup

The annual holiday party at my work happened last night. This is the first year I actually RSVPd and made plans to attend. In fact, my husband and I planned on doing some serious gorging. To heck with hobnobbing and rubbing elbows...we were planning on putting away at least, at least, 3 lbs of peel and eat shrimp each. 

The day started off fine. We dropped Andy off at Camp Bow Wow, because we needed to be out of the house for the better part of the day, and we planned on picking him up after the party. Things didn't go according to plan. I got a call from camp around 12:30. At first I thought Andy might of done something naughty and they were telling us to pick him up and never bring him back again, but no, it was actually the owner letting us know Andy got injured during some rough play. At the time he told us he had cleaned the wound and that it didn't look too bad - he just wanted to let us know so we wouldn't be surprised when we picked Andy up that evening. Well, around 2:30 I got a second call. This time the owner said Andy's "puncture wound" was still bleeding. He urged us to pick the pup up and take him to the vet asap. What the what!?!  

We rushed over to Camp Bow Wow and thankfully a vet at the pet hospital we frequent was available and we were able to take Andy over right away. The boy had a complete meltdown while we were waiting in the lobby. He was jittery, he barked, he whined, he bled. Arg. When we finally saw the vet he said the wound didn't look too bad. We thought Andy was going to need some stitches since it was still bleeding but as it turns out they normally don't stitch bite wounds because that could lead to abscesses. It's apparently better to just let the wound drain, give the dog antibiotics to try to stave off any sort of infection, and let it heal over on its own. The vet did shave the area around the wound so Andy's fur wouldn't get into it or act as a conduit for bacteria. Poor guy has to wear the old cone of shame for a couple of days to prevent him from licking the wound. He's also on a 7 day course of antibiotics and has 5 days worth of an anti-inflammatory/painkiller.

At this point I'm not really sure what happened (I need to talk more with the owner). The owner said another dog's canine got "caught" on Andy while the two were playing, but the injury looks more like an actual bite. I'm not sure what to make of the situation or even how I feel about it at this point. The last time Andy came home with an injury from camp I took it in stride - I saw it as something to be expected, now and then, given the dynamics of the group play environment of doggy day camp...now I'm not so sure. How the heck did Andy end up with an injury serious enough it warranted a trip to the vet? Should I be upset? Should I make a fuss about it at Camp Bow Wow? Should we stop taking him there?

Well, I'm glad Andy's ok. He'll need to take a week or two to mend, and will end up with a scar, but no permanent damage was done. The one good thing to come out of all this - the boy finally got his nails trimmed. I know I said I didn't want to pay to have someone do it, but I figured since I was already there shelling out money I might as well shell out some more to have his nails trimmed...Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment