Thursday, December 13, 2012

Review | Prairie Dog Antler Dog Chew

So that Prairie Dog Antler dog chew I bought over the weekend? Um, yeah, this is all that remains. I took these photos on Tuesday, so the antler is actually even smaller now and just about to become a choking hazard. I'm a little disappointed. After all the great things I read about  antlers, about them being durable and all, I expected this to last longer. I'm going to have to toss what remains at the end of the week lest Andy choke on the nub.

Andy got his antler when I got home from work on Saturday night, which was after midnight. He took to it right away. In fact, he chomped on it for the next three and a half hours straight. I finally took it away at 3:30 a.m. because I kept waking up to the sounds of him gnawing on it. Ha! 


One of the positive things about the antler was that it kept the pup occupied for hours at a time. This was really helpful when I was finishing up a paper earlier this week and didn't have a whole lot of time to devote to him. Giving Andy the antler was like sticking a kid in front of the tv - it kept him occupied and I got to get my work done. Win/Win!

I like the idea of antler chews - the fact that they're all natural, that they have many beneficial minerals and nutrients (calcium, glucosamine, phosphorous, chondroitin, among others), and that in Andy's case it satisfied his urge to chew, chew, chew! What I don't like is that it lasted less than a week. Considering how much they cost (regularly $16.99 - I got it 20% off) I don't foresee buying another one unless it's on some sort of super sale. There's no denying Andy loved the antler...so I might be willing to get him one for a birthday or a special occasion...or if I'm really, really busy and need to keep him occupied.

Prairie Dog Antler Dog Chew
Available at Petco
$6.99-$39.99 depending on style and size

No comments:

Post a Comment