Thursday, December 20, 2012

Doggy Day Care

I had a chance to have a nice long chat yesterday with the owner of the doggy care facility Andy frequents.  Unfortunately he was unable to shed anymore light on what happened because none of his staff actually witnessed the incident. From what he can surmise, Andy was bitten while rough housing with another dog. Normally the perpetrator in such incidences are permanently dismissed from the facility for the safety of both dogs and staff. The dog in question for this particular incident happened to be a foster (Camp Bow Wow is big into fostering and adopting out homeless dogs) and I was told he was "sent back." I have no idea what this means, I can only hope it means he was "sent back" to whatever foster situation he was in prior to arriving at Bow Wow. The owner told me this dog had a difficult time adjusting to the environment at the facility and was likely over-stimulated when the bite occurred. I hope the pup is given the proper training and environment he needs in order to find a forever home and that nothing drastic is done. The dog was obviously not well suited for this particular environment and will hopefully thrive in another. I believe, for the most part, that there are no such things as "bad" dogs, just dogs that need extra love and special attention and training.

I was upset at the beginning of the week when all this happened. I was not happy that Andy got bit by another dog, I was peeved that my boy was bleeding and in pain, I was annoyed that I had to spend money at the vets, and even now, nursing Andy's injury is something I would rather not have to deal with. Alas, it happened and there's nothing I can do at this point but move on. If you've been following this blog you may remember that this isn't actually the first time Andy was injured at camp - though the previous injury was not nearly as serious. My attitude towards this incident is actually much like that of the prior one - given the environment at doggy day care, these things will happen. The owner of Bow Wow, while apologetic for what happened, pretty much towed the same line. I'm not at all surprised by this given that he is first and foremost a business owner (and all that entails), but, I also know he genuinely loves dogs and cares about each of his canine clients and never wants to see a dog get injured while at camp.

My husband and I have decided that we're ok with Andy returning to Bow Wow once he's all mended - for now. I think that if something like this were to happen again we would be finished with doggy day care at this particular facility. So far all the positive experiences we've had with Bow Wow outweigh the negative ones. For us, Bow Wow is a place we can take Andy when we're too busy to give him the time and attention he needs and a place we feel completely comfortable boarding him. For Andy, he gets the socialization every dog needs, it's a chance for him to exercise and burn off energy, and it offers him a change from the everyday routine. My hope is that we can continue to take Andy there. If another incident occurs we will definitely reconsider our stance at that time. There are also other businesses in town that offer the same service, and that may have slightly different environments, so we'll keep our options open.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, sorry to hear that Andy got hurt at doggy daycare. Hope his wounds are healing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the well wishes B! Andy's on the mend and no less frisky than before.:)

      Delete