Monday, December 10, 2012

Antler Dog Chews

Antler (deer, elk, and moose) dog chews seem to be all the rage at the moment. They're marketed as all-natural and durable dog chews - great for teething puppies, aggressive chewers, and large dogs. I first came across them this summer and was immediately taken by their color and shape but passed at the time because of the price. After doing a little research online and reading about all the benefits of antler dog chews I decided to take advantage of Petco's Friends and Family Sale this past weekend and finally pick one up. This particular antler is from a company called Prairie Dog Antlers. All of their antlers are sourced in the U.S. and shed or harvested naturally. From what I've read online not all antlers are equal - they're graded by a number of criteria including, freshness, hardness, and whether or not they're cracked or chalky. Prairie Dog Antlers are all grade A or B, supposedly meaning they're the highest food grade antlers available (and yes, humans also consume antlers, usually in ground/pill form, or sliced to brew in teas and such). 

Why antlers? They're supposed to be a great alternative to traditional chews such as bones, hooves, raw-hides, and bullysticks. They're all-natural, odor-free, and mess-free. They're long-lasting, don't chip or splinter as bones are apt to,  and are a source of many beneficial minerals and nutrients, such as calcium, glucosamine, phosphorous,  and chondroitin - all great for your dog's bones, teeth and gums, and coat. Wow - If I didn't know better I'd think I'm a lobbyist for the antler industry or something! In any case, I did finally purchase an antler for Andy because he is such an aggressive chewer and I'm always on the look out for ways to keep him occupied. The antler pieces are sawed off a larger rack and come in a variety of shapes and sizes and appear to be priced according to size. I picked a nice medium-large sized piece for Andy.  I'll let you know what I think about it in a week or two.

Related Post:
Review | Prairie Dog Antler Dog Chew


No comments:

Post a Comment