Thursday, November 29, 2012

Yarn Bomb Revisted

The yarn-bombed tree we first encountered at the park back in August is still around. I never really thought about the clean-up aspect of yarn bombing. Do yarn bombers eventually go back and dismantle their projects? When does this thing go from being "gorilla art" to just being trash on a tree? It's in pretty good shape, all things considered, but I imagine it's only going to continue getting shabbier and grosser. I don't even want to know what it smells like or if there's any mold involved. Ew. I'm all for conceptual and/or sustainable art but I hope the creator(s) also take responsibility for the eventual clean-up of this thing.

2 comments:

  1. I have never them before. Do they have them everywhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been reading about them a lot but this is the first yarn bomb I've actually come across in person. I'm guessing they're more prevalent in urban areas. I think part of the charm is supposed to be the juxtaposition of the unexpected: handmade + industrial. I'd like to see more!

      Delete