Monday, October 1, 2012

The Power of Kawaii

According to researchers in Hiroshima looking at pictures of cute puppies and kittens may improve workplace performance and productivity. (Uh yeah, I could have told you that!) The study, titled The Power of Kawaii, (kawaii can be roughly translated as "cute") found that "cute objects may be used as an emotion elicitor to induce careful behavioral tendencies in specific situations, such as driving and office work." One of the study's authors explains why this is: "The perception of something as cute activates the idea of something delicate and breakable...valuable and worth caring for." When we look at images of cute puppies and kittens that feeling of value and something worth caring for apparently translates into work tasks performed immediately after. So when you catch me at work looking at cuteoverload.com or icanhas.cheezburger.com it's because I strive to be as productive an employee as I can be. I swear I'm not just goofing off.      

No comments:

Post a Comment