Thursday, September 13, 2012

Review | TradeWinds Tapeworm Tabs

A month ago we came home from vacation and discovered that both of our cats were infected with tapeworms. Arg. Once we got over our initial disgust I did some research on the internet  to find out what our options were. It used to be that as soon as something was wrong, or even remotely wrong, with any of my pets I would run to the vet. I've since learned to be more patient - to take the "wait and see" approach if a situation doesn't appear to be dire. I've also started experimenting more with home remedies. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this course of action for everyone, but I trust we have enough experience and common sense to know when we really need to go to the vet.

One product quickly rose to the top as I did my research - TradeWinds Tape Worm Tabs Cat Tablets. The active ingredient in these tablets is Praziquantel, which is proven to be 100% effective and safe for the removal of common tapeworms in both dogs and cats. This is what a vet would typically prescribe for the treatment of tapeworms but the product is now available without a prescription. One dose was all it took to rid both cats of this parasitic pest. How do I know? Brace yourself for some grossness...Body segments of the tapeworm are passed through the cat's feces or the segments will pass straight through the cat's anus. Before treatment I saw visual evidence of dried out segments and...here it comes...even saw a live segment "crawling" around Diego's butt. Ew. The medication seemed to work immediately and I haven't seen any evidence of tapeworms in almost a month now. I think it's safe to say the cats are tapeworm-free.
     
The tablets weren't cheap - we paid $24.99 for 3 tablets, which was enough to treat both cats (dosage was according to weight: 4 lbs. & under – ½ tablet, 5-11 lbs.– 1 tablet, over 11 lbs. – 1 ½ tablets). Consider though that if we had gone to the vet we would have paid for examinations for both cats, probably a fecal check for both cats, and medication. I imagine this would have cost about $125-150. I think it's important to consider several factors before going the home-treatment route: First, be 100% sure you know what the problem is. Second, only treat your pet at home if he is otherwise healthy and not in a weakened state. Lastly, follow dosage instructions to the letter and make sure you know how to safely and effectively pill your pet. TradeWinds sells these tablets for both cats and dogs. The tablets are the same, with the same active ingredient, the difference being dosage. 

TradeWinds Tape Worm Tabs Cat Tablets
Petco, Petsmart
$24.99 for 3 tablets

PetCareRX
$17.89 for 3 tablets
TradeWinds Tape Worm Tabs Dog Tablets
Petco, Petsmart
$29.99 for 5 tablets



PetCareRx - America's Most Affordable Pet Pharmacy

No comments:

Post a Comment