Monday, September 3, 2012

Nail Clipping Nightmare

Andy is the first dog I've owned that doesn't mind having his paws touched. My dogs of yore never tolerated paw touching, much less paw holding, so this is a nice change. I was nervous the first time we clipped Andy's claws because I've never owned a dog with black claws before. Makes it impossible to see the quick! I asked my vet for tips and he recommended making an initial cut up to where the claw begins to curve, then making smaller cuts until I start to see grayish-pink, which means I'm coming up on the quick. The quick is the bundle of blood vessels and nerves that feed the claw and if cut into will bleed and give your dog pain. Talk about pressure! I found this claw clipping guide from Washington State University's Vet Med program extremely helpful.

We have to clip Andy's claws every 3 weeks or so. The first 2 or 3 times we trimmed them it was a piece of cake. My husband held him while I systematically worked my way through each claw using a pair of spring-loaded clippers. He didn't put up a fight at all. The last time we trimmed them Andy put up a little bit of resistance. This time. Huh. This time was a nightmare. He fought us tooth and nail - literally! There was squirming, writhing, scratching, growling, attempted biting...the works. In hindsight we should have stopped and continued at a later time. Unfortunately I was stubborn and wanted to get it done. We were down to the last paw, only 3 more claws to go, and Andy jerked his paw right as I was clipping. I cut into his quick. There was blood. I felt like the worst pet owner ever. Sigh. So now the pup is running around with 3 nails that still need to be trimmed and I'm dreading having to do it. I'm thinking maybe I need to get sanding bands for my Dremel so I can just grind them down and avoid sharp cutting implements altogether. I'm a wuss when it comes to pain - my own and that of others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment