Friday, September 21, 2012

Andy | Hound X

When we first saw Andy at the humane society he was described as a hound/pit bull mix. I'm not gonna lie, for a split second all the negative things I had read about pit bulls ran through my mind and I momentarily dismissed the idea of adopting a dog with pit in him. As I observed Andy and all the other pit bulls in their cages, both full and mixed breeds, I was taken with how unique each dog was - each in possession of a singular personality and qualities all their own and each with the potential to be a loving companion.  I'm sure glad we gave Andy a chance. At this point I don't know if he actually has any pit in him, our vet doesn't seem to think so, but even if he does it matters not. Andy has his forever home.

Breed prejudice is sad and unjust. The case of Lennox, the dog in Ireland that was euthanized simply because he was a American bulldog-Labrador mix, is a prime example of the injustice of breed prejudice and breed-specific laws. Victoria Stilwell, host of Animal Planet’s “It’s Me or the Dog,” said it best when she wrote, "We must target the deed not the breed...We must hold irresponsible pet owners accountable. Dogs of any breed can be fantastic, and dogs of any breed can be dangerous."

No comments:

Post a Comment