Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Rethinking the Gentle Leader


So the gentle leader hasn't done much in the way of helping us "lead" Andy.  He still pulls and tugs and fights the leader and after three and half months I'm ready to try something different. I realize the gentle leader, or any training device for that matter, is only as good as the owner that is able to use the tool effectively. I'll be the first to admit we haven't done a good job with leash training Andy, but in the case of the gentle leader, I have additional concerns. I've noticed the leader is causing irritation to the bridge of Andy's muzzle because he pulls against it so hard. I'm concerned he's going to developed an unsightly callous or lose the fur there altogether. I don't want to permanently disfigure my pup so we're going to try a body harness we already have next. This particular harness isn't the best design so I'll be keeping my eyes open for a new one over the next couple of weeks. Anyone have a favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment