Thursday, August 23, 2012

Recent Reads | Winners and Losers

I started reading Dog Sense by John Bradshaw about a month ago. The tagline for the book is, "How the New Science of Dog Behavior Can Make You A Better Friend to Your Pet." What dog owner doesn't want to be a better friend to their pup? I know I want Andy and I to be best buds. Unfortunately I had a really hard time getting into the book and after a month of picking it up and putting it down I decided it just wasn't engaging enough to keep at it. I might give it another chance sometime in the future.

I'm normally a voracious reader of fiction but this summer I've been dabbling with more non-fiction. I'm currently reading a book called Sex, Drugs and Sea Slime by Ellen Prager. I've always been a nature nut so this book about some of the more curious inhabitants of the sea is right up my alley. Prager writes casually about the life cycles and often bizarre reproductive processes of creatures like the hagfish, the Portuguese man of war, sea slugs, and parrotfish. Throughout the book she also talks about the vast commercial, medicinal, and biotechnological resources of the ocean and various conservation issues. Other entertaining reads along this line I reccomend are Wicked Bugs: The Louse That Conquered Napoleon's Army & Other Diabolical Insects by Amy Stewart and Dr. Tatiana's Sex Advice to All Creation: The Definitive Guide to the Evolutionary Biology of Sex by Olivia Judson.

No comments:

Post a Comment