Monday, August 6, 2012

Nylabone


Does anyone have any strong feelings about the "edible" nylon products from Nylabone? I have such mixed feelings about them. I know they're "recommended by vets," satisfy a dog's urge to chew, and supposedly clean their teeth in the process, but I'm still weirded out by the fact that they're eating little bits of nylon. I'm assuming their bodies can't process these nylon pieces and they just pass them in their stool...but it just all seems so...artificial. 

I bought a couple of Nylabone products early on because Andy was (and is) such a powerful chewer. I find that the Nylabone products and toys made of durable rubber (Kong, JW Pet's Good Cuz) are the only toys he can't utterly demolish. Andy has a bone-shaped chew from Nylabone's Durachew line and the "Long Lasting Durable 5 Senses Chew" he's chomping on in the photos above. He actually loves these chews and consistently goes back to them again and again. 

I haven't read anything that outright damns Nylabone nylon products. They did apparently have issues a couple years back with dogs ingesting larger pieces of their Plaque Attacker bones, which were made of rubber, and getting seriously ill and even dying. Nylabone has since redesigned this product but I'll still be staying away from them because they just don't look they'd withstand Andy's aggressive chewing for very long. In any case, I'd love to hear what you think. 

4 comments:

  1. my dog absolutely loves the 5 senses chew. can i ask you where you bought it? I am having troubles finding it again and it needs to be replaced!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the 5 Senses Chew is really hard to find! It's on the Nylabone website which makes me think it's still being manufactured (unfortunately Nylabone doesn't sell direct). I found this one at T.J. Maxx of all places. Happy hunting!

      Delete
  2. I love the Nylabones, it has saved our furniture, shoes and clothes from our new 11 month old puppy. She's a very powerful and persistent chewer. The Nylabone Dura Chew Bone, Original Flavor, Souper is one of her favorite bones. I'm amazed at how long this bone is lasting with her constant chewing. I recently gave Lucy the DuraChew® Double Action® Chew - Revolving Ends yesterday. There is a lot of wear so far. I wish the Planet Dog brand of dog toys was available at more retailers. The Planet Dog silver Orbee-Tuff® Diamond Plate Ball has been the only ball that is in one piece still. I can add some of her kibble to the same holes and make it an interactive toy as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! The Nylabone products work well with Andy so far and I haven't found a reason not to give them to him. It's nice to hear other folks like them as well. :) I had to finally throw out the 5 Senses Chew after 2 months and we just replaced it with a Dental Dinosaur Chew...which Andy loves!

      I'm gonna give The Planet Dog toys a try! The products look nice, but you're right, they're not widely available. I vaguely remember seeing some of the fruit shapes at Target and will scope it out the next time I'm there. Thanks for the input!

      Delete