- They can lower our cortisol levels - the hormone associated with stress.
- They can increase the production of serotonin - a chemical associated with well-being.
- They can lower our blood pressure and heart rates.
- They can help us fight depression.
- They encourage daily physical activity.
- They provide companionship.
- Children that grow up in pet households are less likely to develop allergies and have stronger immune systems.
Check out WebMD's slideshow, "Find out 27 Ways Pets Can Improve Your Health," for more interesting ways animals help us live healthier lives.