Monday, July 30, 2012

Purse Snatcher

About 2 weeks after we adopted Andy I came home from work one night to find him happily chewing on one of my purses. The sight of shredded leather filled me with rage and I fumed at both Andy and my husband; he was after all supposed to be watching the pup. I'm pretty low maintenance when it comes to clothing and accessories...but this was my favorite purse! I'm talking beautiful, brown, pebbled leather, gorgeous brushed silver hardware, playful pink stitching and cloth interior. Sigh.

OK, so I exaggerated when I said the purse was shredded - it was only one of the buckles. I was mad at Andy for about 5 minutes before it dawned on me that the whole incident was really my fault. I shouldn't have left the purse where he could get to it. I was also reminded of something that I had read recently, about how it's not right that dog owners expect more of their dogs than they would a toddler, when in reality the two have about the same level of intelligence. Sometimes I forget that Andy's a dog and will do the (naughty!) things dogs like to do. While I don't advocate letting a dog reek havoc in your household I do believe there are times we have to accept that dogs will be dogs. We need to do what we can to prevent negative behavior, but when these incidents happen, there's really no sense in getting angry. And by the way, I still carry my favorite purse.

No comments:

Post a Comment